Monday, September 18, 2006

RIP, Annie



Our former governor Ann Richards passed away last week. What a tough lady. She was definitely one of my heroines. Quick and sharp witted, yet smooth as butter...she could certainly tell folks "how the cow ate the cabbage." I think she was exactly what Texas needed at the time, and is most definitely what we need now. I don't think anyone can come near holding a candle to her politically or personally (well, maybe Kinky can, we'll see).

What a grand lady Texas has lost. She was one of the few Democrats I've ever voted for and I had the utmost respect for her. I had the sincere pleasure of interviewing her for our campus TV station back in my undergrad days, and I found two of the few pictures I have of that day. I wanted to share, even though they aren't the grandest of images (technically speaking). I will miss her wit and her candor, and I hope that everyone can appreciate the legacy she leaves behind...blazing a bigger trail for women and minorities in government and making Texas a better place to live.

By the way, one of my all-time favorite "Richardisms" was this one from the Democratic National Convention a while back, while poking a little fun at George W. Bush:
"Poor George, he can't help it...he was born with a silver foot in his mouth." ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home